So, you have decided to use a custom home builder as you create the house of your dreams. This is a big decision and it should be noted that it i also a very important one. When you invest in a custom home builder, you are investing in the overall quality of your new home…one that you will hopefully enjoy for years to come.
Now that you have decided to use a contractor, the next question is: how do you find the right one for you and your needs? This can be one of the most overwhelming parts of the process, so these tips and tricks should be a helpful tool as you look for a custom home contractor.
- Remember that the internet is your friend. There is a wealth of knowledge on the internet including reviews and forums to help you gain insight into other people’s experiences with certain contractors. When possible, look for reviews written by people who had similar needs to you. This will give you a better idea about how contractors handled certain needs and situations.
- Use your human friends too!- Chances are, you have had a friend or family member who has had an experience with a luxury homes contractor and they will be a wealth of knowledge. Another great thing about talking to friends and family is that you know they will tell you the truth and give you the real scoop about their experience. They may also have a good connection to a contractor and can help make the introduction.
- Make a few calls when you determine your short list. After friends, family and the internet have helped you narrow it down to a few choices, give the offices a call and talk to someone. This way, you will be able to get a better vibe of the customer service they offer. Talking to someone will give you a sense of how your working relationship would be.
- Previous work is a good indicator of future work, so ask to see portfolio images of previous projects from your potential custom home contractor. Some of these may be available online, but it might also be helpful to ask for specific examples of projects that more closely resemble your own, that way, you will be able to truly discern if they are the right fit for you and your needs.
- Do not feel like you have to rush your decision. Sleep on it. Think about what really feels right and who fits that mold the best. This is a big decision and it is important that you feel truly comfortable moving forward.
Building a house is a huge investment of more than just money. It is an investment of time, of emotion and of spirit. It is draining and sometimes frustrating, so the last thing you would want is for the wrong contractor to make the process more difficult. Take your time to do your research and find the right fit and you will be on your way to the home of your dreams.